Let's get this right from the start - WE LOVE VOLUNTEERS!
We welcome you to get your hands in the soil during our planting and harvest season (late March through late November). Any and all volunteer help is greatly appreciated. Volunteers work at one of two locations: our flower farm on the 200 block of Manistique and Ashland, or our office, root cellar and hoop house at 313 Newport.
It's mid-May and we have just finished planting batches of flower and vegetable seeds in soil blocks on cafeteria trays that we germinate under grow lights, before they are shuttled out to the hoop house. Right now we are building many new flower beds, replenishing existing beds with fresh top soil and compost and now that the weather is warming, transplanting seedlings into the ground.
We will be delighted to share with you what we are learning and are eager to learn from you. If you would like to volunteer, please Contact Us before your anticipated visit so we know to expect you. Generally, you're welcome to work with us any time from 10 - 5 from Wednesday to Saturday. And if you’d like to be on our volunteer email list, this year we’re emailing everyone bi-weekly to give updates about volunteer opportunities.
Come for A Visit
No matter how busy we may be either at our office or outside in the field, we are always glad to give you a warm welcome. We would love to work with your school, church, work or community organization. Those with special needs and children are always welcome. Feel free to contact us for a tour or enjoy the gardens on your own. There are sitting areas for you to relax, commune with nature and feel at home. If your group would like to volunteer at Detroit Abloom on a Saturday or during the week, please Contact Us.
Our 2019 WISH LIST:
1) $300 to build a manual dumbwaiter for the root cellar.
2) 5 heavy-duty Costco shelving units for the root cellar at $150 each.
3) $2,500 for an outdoor walk-in cooler (6' wide x 10' long and 7' tall) that will be a tremendous boost for our cut flower operation. It will enable us to harvest flowers when they're ready, rather then the day we need them to make bouquets and arrangements. We'd like to obtain this cooler by June.
4) One 1400-gallon underground water cistern. This will allow us to naturally irrigate our crops without tapping into the city water system. The approximate cost including installation is $2000.
5) Electrician needed to troubleshoot and finish electrical work in the hoop house.
6) Plumber needed to bring water to the hoop house.
7) We can always use an extra wheelbarrow or two.
Your gift will enable Detroit Abloom to continue providing local flowers at affordable prices and allow us to beautify our community by transforming vacant blighted land into beautiful and productive landscapes. Please make checks payable to Detroit Abloom and mail to 313 Newport, Detroit, Michigan 48215.
To make a secure tax deductible online donation, please click below.
INTERNSHIPS AND COURSE CREDIT
We will gladly sign off on any community service hours for time you spend at The Garden Detroit.