Let's get this right from the start - WE LOVE VOLUNTEERS!
We welcome you to get your hands dirty during our planting and harvest season (late March through late November). Any and all volunteer help is greatly appreciated. Volunteers work at one of two locations: our flower farm on the 200 block of Manistique and Ashland, or our office, root cellar and hoop house at 313 Newport.
It's mid-March and we have already started planting batches of flower and vegetable seeds in soil blocks on cafeteria trays that we germinate under grow lights, before they are shuttled out to the hoop house. We will be planting seeds all the way until late April. If you would like to help with the essential work of seed planting, we’d love to have you. By late March we will also be building many new flower beds and replenishing the beds we already have with fresh top soil and compost. So, please stay tuned and we’ll be looking forward to meeting you.
We will be delighted to share with you what we are learning and are eager to learn from you. If you would like to volunteer, please Contact Us before your anticipated visit so we know to expect you. Generally, you're welcome to work with us any time from 10-5 Monday to Saturday.
Come for A Visit
No matter how busy we may be either at our office or outside in the field, we are always glad to give you a warm welcome. We would love to work with your school, church, work or community organization. Those with special needs and children are always welcome at our projects. Feel free to contact us for a tour or enjoy the gardens on your own. There are sitting areas for you to relax, commune with nature and feel at home. If your group would like to volunteer at Detroit Abloom on a Saturday or any other time during the week, please Contact Us.
Here is our 2019 WISH LIST:
1) $300 to build a dumbwaiter for the root cellar.
2) 5 heavy-duty Costco shelving units for the root cellar at $150 each and three picnic tables at $150 each.
3) $2,500 for an outdoor walk-in cooler (8' wide x 15' long and 7' tall) that will a tremendous boost for our cut flower operation. It will enable us to harvest flowers when they're ready to harvest, rather then the day we need them to make bouquets and arrangements. We'd like to obtain this cooler by early next Spring.
4) Two 1400-gallon underground water cisterns. These will allow up to naturally irrigate our crops without tapping into the city water system. The approximate cost including installation is $3500.
5) Electrician needed to troubleshoot and finish electrical work in the hoop house.
6) Plumber needed to bring water to the hoop house and sink in back-yard.
Your gift will enable Detroit Abloom to continue providing local flowers at affordable prices and allow us to continue beautifying our community by transforming vacant blighted land into beautiful and productive landscapes. Please make checks payable to The Garden Detroit and mail to 313 Newport, Detroit, Michigan 48215.
To make a secure tax deductible online donation, please click below.
INTERNSHIPS AND COURSE CREDIT
We will gladly sign off on any community service hours for time you spend at The Garden Detroit.